Celebrating President’s Day: Stock Market Closures, Walmart & Costco Open, and Sales Deals to Look Out For
On President’s Day, Monday, February 20, 2023, the US stock market will remain closed in observance of the federal holiday. Bond traders will also get a three-day weekend, with bond markets shuttered on Washington's Birthday, too. Banks will be closed on Monday and there will be no mail delivery. The Nasdaq Stock Market and New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) will both be open from 9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mon-Fri Eastern time.
Walmart will be open on President’s Day and its holiday schedule indicates that Christmas is the only day in which Walmart closes its doors entirely. However, some locations may have varying hours for the holiday.
Costco is also open on President’s Day, but it is not listed among the seven paid holidays Amazon employees receive a year. Amazon’s observed holidays sometimes align with the USPS, but packages being delivered through the retail giant should not be affected by President’s Day.
The stock market has historically performed poorly during the week of President’s Day, but certain stocks stand out. The first table shows S&P 500 stocks that have performed the best, with electricity stocks prominent on the list. The second table shows stocks that have performed the worst, with several banks on that list.
Investing.com reported that US stock futures were trading lower during Sunday’s evening deals ahead of Monday’s public holiday. This is likely due to investors digesting hotter than expected inflation data as well as a deluge of earnings results.
On President's Day, shoppers can take advantage of various sales. Many stores offer discounts in honour of the holiday, so shoppers should keep an eye out for the best deals 2023 has to offer.
0. “US stock market to remain closed today” msnNOW, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.msn.com/en-in/money/markets/us-stock-market-to-remain-closed-today/ar-AA17HQyq
1. “Are Banks Closed on Presidents' Day?” Kiplinger's Personal Finance, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.kiplinger.com/personal-finance/banking/are-banks-closed-on-presidents-day
2. “Presidents' Day 2023: Is the stock market open or closed on Feb 20?” USA TODAY, 17 Feb. 2023, https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2023/02/17/presidents-day-stock-market-open-closed/11282201002/
3. “Is the Stock Market Open on Presidents' Day?” Kiplinger's Personal Finance, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.kiplinger.com/investing/stocks/is-the-stock-market-open-on-presidents-day
4. “Is Walmart Open on Presidents' Day?” SavingAdvice.com, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2023/02/14/1056031_walmart-open-presidents-day.html
5. “Will mail be delivered on Presidents Day 2023?” The Hill, 18 Feb. 2023, https://thehill.com/homenews/3862406-will-mail-be-delivered-on-presidents-day-2023/
6. “Should You Buy Stocks During Holiday-Shortened Weeks?” Schaeffers Research, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.schaeffersresearch.com/content/analysis/2023/02/15/buy-these-20-stocks-presidents-day-week
7. “Dow futures slip ahead of holiday, FOMC minutes in focus By Investing.com” Investing.com Canada, 20 Feb. 2023, https://ca.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/dow-futures-slip-ahead-of-holiday-fomc-minutes-in-focus-2906328
8. “Is the Stock Market Open for Presidents Day? Here Are the Trading Hours.” Barron's, 17 Feb. 2023, https://www.barrons.com/articles/stock-market-open-closed-today-hours-presidents-day-6601402f
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.