The latest inflation data released on February 9, 2023 for the US, showed a 0.5% month-over-month increase in the consumer price index (CPI), which was in line with market expectations. On an annual basis, CPI rose 6.4%, while core prices, excluding the volatile food and energy sectors, showed a 5.6% increase from the previous year.
In Asia-Pacific markets, futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average fell 0.1% in Monday's pre-market trading, while those for the broader S&P 500 index gained 0.1% and contracts for the Nasdaq-100 added 0.4%. On Tuesday, after the stock market opened, the Dow decreased by 0.46%, bringing the index to 34,089.44, and the NASDAQ declined 0.42%, settling at 11,842 The S&P 500 decreased, dropping 0.37% to a total of 4
On Tuesday, Microsoft stock rose by 0.3%, building upon the increase from the day before. The share price is currently above its 200-day moving average, but still about 14% lower than its 52-week high following recent increases. Wednesday morning, MSFT stock had a decrease of 0.4%. Tesla (TSLA) saw a positive pre-market trading session, increasing by over 1%, after Barclays began monitoring the stock with an overweight rating and a $275 price target.
In terms of the currency markets, the US Dollar (USD) strengthened versus all of its Group-of-10 peers. Meanwhile, the British Pound (GBP) fell against the Dollar (USD), with GBP/USD dropping 0.3%. The Euro-Dollar (EUR/USD) pair was down 0.2%, while the US Dollar-Japanese Yen (USD/JPY) pair was up 0.2%. The Dollar-Canadian Dollar (USD/CAD) pair was up 0.5%.
Should I invest What should I invest in? On Tuesday, the share price of Tesla Inc. (NASDAQ: TSLA) from the S&P 500 stocks increased by 7.51%.
0. “Market Caution Returns on Hot US CPI Data” Action Forex, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.actionforex.com/contributors/fundamental-analysis/486470-market-caution-returns-on-hot-us-cpi-data/
1. “5 things to know before the stock market opens Tuesday” CNBC, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/14/5-things-to-know-before-the-stock-market-opens-tuesday-february-14.html
2. “S&P 500, Nasdaq, Dow end choppy session with mixed performance after CPI data (SP500)” Seeking Alpha, 14 Feb. 2023, https://seekingalpha.com/news/3935955-cpi-data-leads-to-choppy-trading-mixed-finish-for-sp-500-nasdaq-dow
3. “S&P 500, Nasdaq, Dow ride high Monday as markets await new CPI data” Proactive Investors USA, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.proactiveinvestors.com/companies/news/1005920/s-p-500-nasdaq-dow-ride-high-monday-as-markets-await-new-cpi-data-1005920.html
4. “Dow Falls 150 Points; US Consumer Prices Rise 0.5% In January – Endava (NYSE:DAVA), Denny's (NASDAQ:DENN)” Benzinga, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.benzinga.com/news/earnings/23/02/30900435/dow-falls-150-points-us-consumer-prices-rise-0-5-in-january
5. “Strong start to the new trading week in the US stock market” ForexLive, 13 Feb. 2023, https://www.forexlive.com/news/strong-start-to-the-new-trading-week-in-the-us-stock-market-20230213
6. “Dow Jones Drops 200 Points On Strong Retail Sales; Tesla Reverses Lower Despite Buy Rating” Investor's Business Daily, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.investors.com/market-trend/stock-market-today/dow-jones-futures-fall-ahead-of-retail-sales-tesla-stock-races-higher-on-buy-rating/