Living Paycheck to Paycheck: A Growing Problem Among Americans
Living paycheck to paycheck is becoming increasingly common among Americans. A recent report from LendingClub and PYMNTS found that 64.4% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck, and that 23.8% of those are having difficulty paying their bills. The report also found that 51% of those earning $100,000 or more are living paycheck to paycheck.
In addition, the Country Financial Security Index found that 27% of Americans have had to take money out of savings to make ends meet, and 54% of those have used that money to pay for basic expenses like groceries and rent. Meanwhile, average hourly earnings fell 0.2% in January, according to a BLS report that adjusts wages for inflation.
Making matters worse, those living paycheck to paycheck often have little to no savings and would face a financial crisis if they lost their jobs. This is why it's so important to have some money saved for emergencies, as unexpected expenses can easily lead to financial ruin. To be financially secure, it's important to prioritize basic needs like food, housing, health care, transportation, and education. Having some luxuries is great, but not at the expense of your family's future.
0. “How High Earners Can Finally Stop Living Paycheck-to-Paycheck” HerMoney, 14 Feb. 2023, https://hermoney.com/earn/stop-living-paycheck-to-paycheck-2
1. “64% of Americans Are Living Paycheck to Paycheck” The Motley Fool, 17 Feb. 2023, https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/personal-finance/articles/64-of-americans-are-living-paycheck-to-paycheck
2. “Savings getting tapped by Americans to make ends meet due to inflation” Fox Business, 16 Feb. 2023, https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/savings-getting-tapped-americans-ends-meet-inflation
3. “More Than 50 Percent of Americans Using Savings for Everyday Expenses: Study” The Epoch Times, 17 Feb. 2023, https://www.theepochtimes.com/more-than-50-percent-of-americans-using-savings-for-everyday-expenses-study_5065068.html
4. “Cost Of Thriving Index & Middle-Class Inflation” Global Macro Monitor, 15 Feb. 2023, https://global-macro-monitor.com/2023/02/15/cost-of-thriving-index-middle-class-inflation/
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.