The holder of the winning ticket for the $1.35 billion Mega Millions jackpot has come forward to accept their winnings, state officials in Maine announced on Wednesday. The ticket was sold on the 13th of January at Hometown Gas & Grill in Lebanon, Maine, and the store received a $50,000 bonus for selling the winning ticket.
The winner selected the cash option, which was a one-time, lump-sum payment of $723,564,144 before taxes. By choosing the cash option, they will receive more than $498 million after taxes. Taxes in the amount of $173.6 million will go to the federal government and $51 million to the state, according to Michael Boardman, director of the Maine Bureau of Alcoholic Beverages and Lottery Operations.
The winner has chosen to remain anonymous, accepting the winnings through a limited liability company called LaKoma Island Investments, LLC. If they had opted for the full amount, they would have received 30 payments over 29 years.
This jackpot is the second-largest in Mega Millions history and the fourth time the game has had a billion-dollar win. The largest Mega Millions jackpot in October 2018 was $1.53 billion, claimed by a single ticket holder in South Carolina. Two Powerball jackpot prizes have been bigger than any other, with one reaching an incredible amount of over $2 billion
In spite of formidable odds of 1 in 302.6 million, someone triumphed in the drawing on Friday the 13th. We congratulate the winner and wish them all the best as they consider how to best use their recent winnings.
0. “Winner of $1.35 billion Mega Millions jackpot comes forward” WGME, 22 Feb. 2023, https://wgme.com/news/local/winner-of-135-billion-mega-millions-jackpot-comes-forward-hometown-gas-grill-lebanon-fred-cotreau-prize-cash-payout-annuity-gambling-grand-prize-drawing-numbers-money-cash-odds-tickets-maine-lottery
1. “‘Life-changing' $1.35 billion Mega Millions jackpot claimed in Maine” CBS Boston, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/boston/news/mega-millions-maine-jackpot-winner-comes-forward
2. “Winner of $1.35 billion Mega Millions jackpot claims prize” Kennebec Journal and Morning Sentinel, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.centralmaine.com/2023/02/22/winner-of-1-35-billion-mega-millions-jackpot-claims-prize/
3. “Winner comes forward to claim $1.35B Mega Millions jackpot” The Washington Post, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/winner-comes-forward-to-claim-135b-mega-millions-jackpot/2023/02/22/ad9aa014-b2cf-11ed-94a0-512954d75716_story.html
4. “$1.35 billion Mega Millions jackpot winner claims prize” 9News.com KUSA, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.9news.com/article/news/nation-world/mega-millions-1-billion-dollar-jackpot-winner-claims-prize-maine/507-0b4b7011-fd93-4b47-9db8-87ee024efa68
5. “Maine's $1.35B Mega Millions winner finally comes forward” WMTW Portland, 22 Feb. 2023, https://www.wmtw.com/article/maines-mega-millions-winner-claims-prize-lakoma-island-investments/43021275