Michigan Governor & Democratic Leaders Unveil Lowering MI Costs Plan To Deliver Tax Break To Michiganders
LANSING, MI (WKZO AM/FM) – Governor Gretchen Whitmer and Democratic legislative leader Monday officially unveiled their Lowering MI Costs Plan, which they say will deliver the largest tax break to Michiganders in decades. The plan includes a $180 inflation relief check for all taxpayers, a pension tax repeal, and an expansion of the Earned Income Tax Credit for low-income workers.
Whitmer stated that the top priority for people in Michigan currently is the cost of living. I am extremely proud that our Lowering MI Costs plan is taking action to put money back into the pockets of Michiganders. This plan involves rolling back the retirement tax, quintupling the Working Families Tax Credit, and providing inflation relief checks to all taxpayers. These steps will ensure that citizens of Michigan can make ends meet and provide for their families, even as inflation affects their financial situation. We are working hard to make this plan come to fruition and provide much-needed relief to people in our state.
The plan would repeal the 4.25 percent tax on retirement income, and equalize tax exemptions for private and public pensions. In addition, the Michigan Working Families Tax Credit match of the federal Earned Income Tax Credit would quintuple, increasing from 6% to 30%. This would deliver an average combined tax refund of $3,150 to 700,000 families and be retroactive for tax year 2022.
The deal also includes $800 million in “inflation relief checks” for all taxpayers. Senate Majority Leader Winnie Brinks of Grand Rapids and House Speaker Joe Tate of Detroit said in a joint statement, “Right now, inflation has driven the cost up on everyday goods, which is squeezing household budgets and forcing families to forego necessities. That’s why they sent us to Lansing to lower costs and put more money back into people’s pockets.”
Speaker Joe Tate stated that House Democrats had received messages from people in Michigan saying they want the repeal of the retirement tax. Our priorities are their priorities. By enacting this plan, we are fulfilling our commitment to the citizens of Michigan. Retirees across our state are able to regain their hard-earned money through Lowering MI Costs, providing working families with extra dollars and protecting them from the inflationary effects. Michiganders are in need of meaningful relief at this time.
0. “Whitmer: Relief Is On The Way For All Michigan Taxpayers” Radioresultsnetwork.com, 3 Feb. 2023, https://www.radioresultsnetwork.com/2023/02/03/221675/
1. “Tax rebates will be $180 per individual taxpayer, Whitmer says” Crain's Detroit Business, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.crainsdetroit.com/politics-policy/tax-rebates-will-be-180-taxpayer-whitmer-says
2. “Every Michigan Taxpayer to Get $180 Under New Tax Plan” 9&10 News, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.9and10news.com/2023/02/06/every-michigan-taxpayer-to-get-180-under-new-tax-plan/
3. “Tax rebates planned by Gretchen Whitmer, Democrats as part of relief package” Bridge Michigan, 3 Feb. 2023, https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/tax-rebates-planned-gretchen-whitmer-democrats-part-relief-package
4. “Michigan may issue inflation relief checks to tax filers: What to know” WDIV ClickOnDetroit, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/michigan/2023/02/06/michigan-may-issue-inflation-relief-checks-to-tax-filers-what-to-know/
5. “Whitmer, Democratic leaders roll out tax break plan, Republican leaders critical” WHTC, 6 Feb. 2023, https://whtc.com/2023/02/06/whitmer-democratic-leaders-roll-out-tax-break-plan-republican-leaders-critical/
6. “Whitmer, Democrats pitch $180 inflation relief checks for tax relief” Detroit News, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2023/02/06/michigan-governor-gretchen-whitmer-democrats-pitch-180-dollar-inflation-relief-checks-for-tax-relief/69876475007/
7. “Michigan Democrats’ plan would repeal pension tax, expand credit, send checks” WOODTV.com, 3 Feb. 2023, https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/michigan-democrats-plan-would-repeal-pension-tax-expand-credit-send-checks/
8. “Democratic leaders offer $180 direct checks to Michiganders in tax package” MLive.com, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.mlive.com/politics/2023/02/democratic-leaders-offer-180-direct-checks-to-michiganders-in-tax-package.html
9. “Michigan Democrats unveil major tax cut plan including ‘relief checks'” Manistee News Advocate, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.manisteenews.com/news/article/michigan-democrats-unveil-major-tax-cut-plan-17759928.php
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.