Pete Buttigieg Not Eyeing Senate Run in 2024, Focused on His Current Job
Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg on Sunday quashed speculation that he might run for the open US Senate seat in Michigan in 2024, saying he is too focused on his current job.
“I don't have any plans to do any job besides the one I've got,” Buttigieg said in an interview with Punchbowl News on the two-year anniversary of his confirmation. “It's taking 110% of my attention and energy.”
The former mayor of South Bend, Indiana, with a background in the U.S. Navy and the business world, Buttigieg ran for president in 2020, eking out a narrow victory in the Iowa caucuses and taking second in New Hampshire before dropping out of the race and endorsing Joe Biden in March 2020.
Many anticipate that Buttigieg will strive for more than just a position in the Biden administration, such as running for president once again. The rising star in the Democratic Party has proved time and time again that it's a mistake to underestimate his political prowess — underscored by the Democrats' surprisingly strong midterm performance.
He declined to comment on whether he would support President Biden for reelection in 2024, citing his professional responsibilities as a Cabinet member.
“I love this job and I feel like we're right in the middle of the action,” he said. “I don't intend to leave as we are currently in the midst of important work.”
Buttigieg has been using his position to make progress in the transportation sector, announcing funding for a bridge to go over a railroad in Tucson, Arizona, and a grant to fix Atlanta's rapid transit authority's Five Points Station.
The Granite State Poll suggests that Pete Buttigieg is well ahead of other Democrats, including President Joe Biden, in the potential 2024 presidential race.
The Democrats are defending 23 of the 34 Senate seats on the ballot next year, including three seats in states that backed former President Donald Trump by at least 8 points in 2020. Potential candidates for the Michigan seat include Reps. Elissa Slotkin and Debbie Dingell, and state Sen. Mallory McMorrow.
Buttigieg maintains that he is committed to his current job and is content to be part of the Biden administration.
“It's a privilege to be doing the work,” he said. I will be doing that.
0. “Pete Buttigieg Rules Out Run for Michigan Senate Seat in 2024” Advocate.com, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.advocate.com/politics/pete-buttigieg-michigan-senate-seat
1. “Pete Buttigieg Has ‘No Plans' To Run For President In 2024” Pride.com, 3 Feb. 2023, https://www.pride.com/politics/pete-buttigieg-presidential-campaign-biden
2. “Buttigieg reiterates he won't seek Senate seat in Michigan” Yahoo News, 5 Feb. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/buttigieg-reiterates-won-t-seek-153013296.html
3. “Pete Buttigieg Says He's ‘Not Going Anywhere' amid Senate Speculation” PEOPLE, 3 Feb. 2023, https://people.com/politics/pete-buttigieg-not-going-anywhere-2024-senate-speculation/
4. “Pete Buttigieg says he’s ‘not planning on going anywhere,’ despite questions over his next step” Yahoo News, 2 Feb. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/pete-buttigieg-says-not-planning-213219939.html
5. “Froma Harrop: Pete Buttigieg might be an ideal 2024 candidate” Daily Reflector, 4 Feb. 2023, https://www.reflector.com/opinion/editorial_columnists/froma-harrop-pete-buttigieg-might-be-an-ideal-2024-candidate/article_202d3409-1949-57df-ad1e-107d401e58ff.html
6. “Pete Buttigieg Deflects When Asked if He Wants Joe Biden to Run Again” Newsweek, 5 Feb. 2023, https://www.newsweek.com/pete-buttigieg-deflects-when-asked-if-he-wants-joe-biden-run-again-1779051
7. “Pete Buttigieg says he has no plans to run for president in 2024” LGBTQ Nation, 3 Feb. 2023, https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2023/02/pete-buttigieg-says-he-has-no-plans-to-run-for-president-in-2024/
8. “Buttigieg says he won't seek US Senate seat in Michigan in 2024” KVIA, 5 Feb. 2023, https://kvia.com/news/2023/02/05/buttigieg-says-he-wont-seek-us-senate-seat-in-michigan-in-2024/
9. “Buttigieg, two years into Biden’s Cabinet, ‘not planning on going anywhere’” Yahoo News, 2 Feb. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/buttigieg-two-years-biden-cabinet-150401368.html
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.