President Joe Biden is set to deliver his second State of the Union address on Tuesday. The speech, which will be broadcast on TV networks and streamed on the White House’s YouTube channel, will be a chance for Biden to tout his legislative achievements and contrast himself with his opponents before tens of millions of viewers.
As part of the heightened security measures in preparation for the address, Capitol Police have announced that several roads in the area will be closed to the public starting at 6:30 a.m. on Tuesday, including First Street between Constitution Avenue, NW, and Independence Avenue, SW, and First Street between Independence Avenue, SE, and Constitution Avenue, NE.
Biden’s speech will be an opportunity to highlight his accomplishments in the past two years, such as the laws passed with bipartisan support, and urge Republicans to continue to work with him to advance the business of the American people. Though unlikely, it’s a chance for Biden to prove that Democrats and Republicans can work together.
Biden’s speech will likely also focus on the economy. The unemployment rate has fallen to 3.4%, the lowest it has been since 1969, and inflation is easing. Biden can take credit for the low unemployment rate and the economy’s solid growth since the end of 2022. But despite the relatively good numbers, polls show Americans aren’t giving Biden the credit he deserves.
Arkansas Gov. Sarah Huckabee Sanders will deliver the Republican response to the State of the Union, and Rep. Juan Ciscomani, R-Ariz.The address will also be provided in Spanish. Meanwhile, the Democrats have expressed “urgent concern” for the safety and security of the president and guests, citing threats to lawmakers and the removal of magnetometers from the entrance to the House chamber.
Biden’s address will be an important moment in the 2024 Presidential campaign. Though he has yet to officially declare his candidacy, the State of the Union could very well double as a soft launch for a 2024 bid. It’s a rare chance for the president to lay out his vision directly to the American people.
The heightened security measures, the anticipation of the speech, and the political environment of a divided Congress all make for a unique situation ahead of the State of the Union.
0. “Six lies Biden will tell in his State of the Union” New York Post , 5 Feb. 2023, https://nypost.com/2023/02/05/six-lies-biden-will-tell-in-his-state-of-the-union/
1. “State of the Union: Here are the Road Closures Around the US Capitol” NBC4 Washington, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/state-of-the-union-here-are-the-road-closures-around-the-us-capitol/3272279/
2. “Top Biden aides and writers to gather at Camp David to work on State of the Union address” CBS News, 4 Feb. 2023, https://www.cbsnews.com/news/state-of-the-union-top-biden-aides-writers-gather-camp-david/
3. “State of the Union: Biden faces skeptical Americans as he prepares to tout his economic record” Yahoo News, 6 Feb. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/state-of-the-union-biden-faces-skeptical-americans-as-he-prepares-to-tout-his-economic-record-155923036.html
4. “How do I watch the State of the Union? Why is the annual speech important? What to know.” USA TODAY, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/02/06/how-watch-state-union-2023/11170747002/
5. “Joe Biden's 2023 State of the Union: How to watch, what he'll talk about, who's responding” PolitiFact, 6 Feb. 2023, https://www.politifact.com/article/2023/feb/06/joe-bidens-2023-state-union-how-watch-what-hell-ta/
6. “Dems raise alarms about Capitol security ahead of Biden's State of the Union” Axios, 2 Feb. 2023, https://www.axios.com/2023/02/02/state-of-the-union-biden-capitol-security
7. “Flexing his wins and eyeing a 2nd term, Biden will lay out contrasts with GOP in State of the Union” POLITICO, 5 Feb. 2023, https://www.politico.com/news/2023/02/05/biden-contrasts-gop-state-of-the-union-00081216