President’s Day is an annual holiday in the United States that is celebrated on the third Monday of February. This year, it is being observed on Monday, February 20, 2023. It is a federal holiday, so many businesses across the US will be closed, including banks. The stock market and bond market will also be closed in observance of the holiday. However, some businesses may remain open, as the holiday is not designated as a mandatory federal holiday.
If you are curious as to what time regular trading hours start, the Nasdaq Stock Market and the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) open at 9:30 a.m. and close at 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, Eastern Time. At 4 p.m., The stock market will not be open until 9:30 a.m. EST on February 17. Eastern Standard Time on February 21
The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) and the Nasdaq are both closed on Monday. At 4 p.m., The stock market will not be reopened until 9:30 a.m. EST on February 17. Eastern Standard Time on February 21
Many shoppers will want to know if their favorite stores are open for shopping and if the company is marking the occasion with a sale. Walmart will remain open on Presidents Day. Walmart is closed on Christmas Day, and no other holiday. This is according to the store's holiday schedule. If you require any items from the retail giant on Monday, they will be available.
Chick-fil-A will also be open on Presidents Day, while Costco and Starbucks will be closed. Dunkin’, McDonald's, and Subway will all be open, though their hours may differ from one location to the next.
The holiday has historically been a poor one for the S&P 500. However, there are certain stocks that stand out during the week of President’s Day. Looking over the past 10 years, the first table below shows the S&P 500 stocks that have performed the best, while the second table shows stocks that have performed the worst.
Finally, for shoppers looking for the best deals and discounts for President’s Day, many stores are offering sales and promotions for the holiday. Popular retailers such as Amazon, Target, and Best Buy are all offering President’s Day sales.
0. “Is the Stock Market Open on Presidents' Day?” Kiplinger's Personal Finance, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.kiplinger.com/investing/stocks/is-the-stock-market-open-on-presidents-day
1. “Are banks open today, Presidents Day 2023?” HITC – Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/02/20/are-banks-open-today-presidents-day-2023
2. “Stock Market Closed on President’s Day 2023 – Will the Holiday Effect Apply?” TipRanks, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.tipranks.com/news/stock-market-closed-on-presidents-day-2023-will-the-holiday-effect-apply
3. “U.S. Stock and Bond Markets Closed on Presidents' Day” Best Stocks, 20 Feb. 2023, https://beststocks.com/u-s-stock-and-bond-markets-closed-on/
4. “US stock market to remain closed today” msnNOW, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.msn.com/en-in/money/markets/us-stock-market-to-remain-closed-today/ar-AA17HQyq
5. “Is Walmart open on President’s Day 2023 and are there sales?” HITC – Football, Gaming, Movies, TV, Music, 20 Feb. 2023, https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2023/02/20/is-walmart-open-on-presidents-day-2023-and-are-there-sales
6. “Is Walmart Open on Presidents' Day?” SavingAdvice.com, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2023/02/14/1056031_walmart-open-presidents-day.html
7. “Is Chick-fil-A open on Presidents Day 2023?” NJ.com, 19 Feb. 2023, https://www.nj.com/business/2023/02/is-chick-fil-a-open-today-store-hours-for-presidents-day-2023.html
8. “Should You Buy Stocks During Holiday-Shortened Weeks?” Schaeffers Research, 15 Feb. 2023, https://www.schaeffersresearch.com/content/analysis/2023/02/15/buy-these-20-stocks-presidents-day-week