stocks dropped on Tuesday, capping off a volatile month on Wall Street. The S&P 500 and the Dow Jones Industrials fell 2.6% and 4% respectively, while the Nasdaq Composite Index dropped 1.1%. The 10-year Treasury yield declined 3 basis points to 3.92%, while the 2-year yield slipped 2 basis points to 4.78%.
Data showed that home prices fell 0.5% in December, according to the S&P Corelogic Case-Shiller Index. Year-over-year, home prices increased 4.6%, lower than what analysts predicted of 4.8%. The FHFA house price index for December dipped 0.1%.
The latest batch of data stoked inflation concerns, with analysts at Goldman and Bank of America adding another rate hike to their forecasts, bringing the top level of the federal funds rate to 5.5%. This level would be the highest in more than 20 years.
Shares of Norwegian Cruise Line (NCLH) dropped after they declared a greater-than-anticipated deficit and predicted a discouraging outlook for 2023 as the cruise line is facing relentless fuel and labor costs. Zoom Video Communications (ZM) stock traded over 6% higher premarket after the company beat expectations on both the top and bottom lines, helped by winning new enterprise customers. On Tuesday, shares of Occidental Petroleum (OXY) dropped following their fourth-quarter results announcement, which did not meet Wall Street's expectations for revenue and earnings per share.
Boeing (BA) dropped over 4% and topped the list of Dow Jones Industrials' decliners after announcing that it was halting the delivery of its 787 Dreamliner due to a paperwork issue. Moderna (MRNA) tumbled after a 68% EPS decline came in well short of Q4 views and the company issued a light outlook for 2023.
0. “Stock market news today: Stocks slide after hotter-than-expected key inflation print” AOL, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.aol.com/stock-market-news-today-stock-104349676.html
1. “Stock market today: Dow suffers monthly loss as Fed fears wound stocks in February By Investing.com” Investing.com, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/stock-market-today-dow-suffers-monthly-loss-as-fed-fears-wound-stocks-in-february-3017564
2. “Stock Market News Today: Bulls Finish Today’s Session in Control” TipRanks, 27 Feb. 2023, https://www.tipranks.com/news/stock-market-news-today-futures-recoup-from-a-dull-trading-week
3. “Nasdaq, S&P 500 Futures Flatline Ahead Of Housing, Consumer Data: Analyst Pins Hopes On Dollar, Fed Rates” Benzinga, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.benzinga.com/news/earnings/23/02/31085204/nasdaq-s-p-500-futures-flatline-ahead-of-housing-consumer-data-analyst-pins-hopes-on-dollar-fed-rat
4. “Stock market news today: Stocks fall as volatile month comes to close” Yahoo News, 28 Feb. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/stock-market-news-live-updates-february-28-2023-120603661.html
5. “Nasdaq, Dow, S&P seesaw as stocks look for momentum on last day of February (SP500)” Seeking Alpha, 28 Feb. 2023, https://seekingalpha.com/news/3941896-nasdaq-sp500-dow-jones-stock-market-economic-data-feb-end
6. “Stocks Tumble as Strong Economic Reports Bolster the Case for Tighter Fed Policy” Barchart, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.barchart.com/story/news/14527214/stocks-tumble-as-strong-economic-reports-bolster-the-case-for-tighter-fed-policy
7. “Stock Market Today: Hot Inflation Data Sinks Stocks” Kiplinger's Personal Finance, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.kiplinger.com/investing/stocks/stock-market-today-022423-hot-inflation-data-sinks-stocks
8. “Dow Falls 400 Points As Surprisingly Hot Inflation Data Threatens More Aggressive Fed Policy” Forbes, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.forbes.com/sites/jonathanponciano/2023/02/24/dow-falls-400-points-as-surprisingly-hot-inflation-data-threatens-more-aggressive-fed-policy
9. “US Markets End Down for the Day and Month” Investopedia, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.investopedia.com/us-markets-end-down-for-the-day-and-month-7152891
10. “Dow futures rise 70 pts; Target earnings, Goldman investor day in focus By Investing.com” Investing.com, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.investing.com/news/stock-market-news/dow-futures-rise-70-pts-target-earnings-goldman-investor-day-in-focus-3016858
11. “Dow closes more than 200 points lower Tuesday, major averages end February with losses: Live updates” CNBC, 28 Feb. 2023, https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/27/stock-futures-live-update-open-to-close.html
12. “Stocks Close Lower as a Resilient Economy Bolsters the Case for More Rate Hikes” Barchart, 24 Feb. 2023, https://www.barchart.com/story/news/14534753/stocks-close-lower-as-a-resilient-economy-bolsters-the-case-for-more-rate-hikes