Ukraine Signs Memorandum with J.P. Morgan for Reconstruction and Investment Opportunities
On February 9th, the Economy Ministry of Ukraine announced a memorandum of understanding with the U.S. investment company J.P. Morgan, which will enable the company to help Kyiv attract private investments for the reconstruction of the country. The agreement also includes the participation of the U.S. investment company BlackRock.
J.P. Morgan has great expertise in asset management and public sector interaction, and its specialists are well-versed in utilizing both public and private funds to boost loan financing. The company will advise Ukraine on financial stabilization, obtaining sovereign credit ratings, managing state liquidity assets, digitilizing the economy, identifying opportunities to establish close economic ties with Europe, and creating an institution to guide and protect public and private sector investment.
In addition, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) intends to invest about EUR 1.7 billion in projects in Ukraine in 2023, and the EBRD has provided Ukraine with more than EUR 1 billion, mobilized more than EUR 1.4 billion in donor support as of late November 2022.
Yuliia Svyrydenko, Economy Minister, stated that Ukraine urgently needs investments for reconstruction and post-war economic growth, and identified the following priority areas: energy, agriculture, natural resources, digital technology, and transportation, and other infrastructure.
The memorandum also includes agreements to use a number of financial mechanisms that would allow Ukraine to attract targeted financing, including from the U.S. Treasury, in the near future.
On February 11th, President Volodymyr Zelensky held a meeting with the top managers of J.P. Morgan, the largest investment company in the U.S., and took part in the company's online investment summit.
The G7 Ambassadors also noted the importance of the memorandum of understanding signed between the Ministry of Economy of Ukraine and JP Morgan, and stressed that effective anti-corruption mechanisms are key for Ukraine's resilience in wartime and post-war reconstruction. The Ambassadors look forward to rapid restoration of the asset declaration system by the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine, which will prevent corruption and strengthen public trust in government.
Finally, the parties discussed the creation of a platform to attract private capital to rebuild Ukraine and large investment projects in green energy, IT, and agricultural technologies.
0. “Zelensky meets with J.P. Morgan top managers over Ukraine’s reconstruction” Yahoo! Voices, 11 Feb. 2023, https://www.yahoo.com/now/zelensky-meets-j-p-morgan-142545007.html
1. “JP Morgan To Help Ukraine Attract Investment For Reconstruct…” MENAFN.COM, 10 Feb. 2023, https://menafn.com/1105553962/JP-Morgan-To-Help-Ukraine-Attract-Investment-For-Reconstruction-Economy-Ministry
2. “Economy Ministry: JP Morgan to help Ukraine attract investments for reconstruction” Yahoo News, 10 Feb. 2023, https://news.yahoo.com/economy-ministry-jp-morgan-help-053918332.html
3. “Zelenskyy Discusses Involvement Of Private Capital In Reconstruction Of Ukraine With Top Managers Of JP Morgan” Ukrainian News Agency, 11 Feb. 2023, https://ukranews.com/en/news/914478-zelenskyy-discusses-involvement-of-private-capital-in-reconstruction-of-ukraine-with-top-managers
4. “Yuliia Svyrydenko: J.P. Morgan will help Ukraine attract public and private investments to rebuild the country | odessa …” Odessa Journal, 10 Feb. 2023, https://odessa-journal.com/yuliia-svyrydenko-j-p-morgan-will-help-ukraine-attract-public-and-private-investments-to-rebuild-the-country/
5. “Zelensky Meets with J.P. Morgan Top Managers over Ukraine's … – Latest Tweet by The Kyiv Independent” LatestLY, 11 Feb. 2023, https://www.latestly.com/socially/world/zelensky-meets-with-j-p-morgan-top-managers-over-ukraines-latest-tweet-by-the-kyiv-independent-4828578.html
6. “G7 Ambassadors Hope For Rapid Restoration Of Asset Declarati…” MENAFN.COM, 10 Feb. 2023, https://menafn.com/1105557271/G7-Ambassadors-Hope-For-Rapid-Restoration-Of-Asset-Declaration-System-In-Ukraine
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.